Passionfruit Tart with Lime Butter Pastry



I just love being able to make something with fresh produce from my own garden! Last week I had a HUGE bowl of passionfruit, desperately calling me to turn them into something deliciously sweet.  There were a few limes on the tree too, so I decided on a Passionfruit and Lime tart. I picked most of the limes off my tree as they were more yellow than green, then zested and juiced them to freeze for later.  I can't say that grating lime (or lemon) rind is my favourite thing to do.

I couldn't decide between a Passionfruit and lime tart or a Passionfruit flan with lime butter pastry. I really liked the idea of the lime pastry, and I didn't have double cream but did have light coconut cream, so I made a combination of both - a zesty lime sweet pastry for the shell, filled with a passionfruit-lime-coconut cream middle mm-mmmm!  I kind-of overbaked the pastry. I was bathing the kids and cooking dinner, rice. I could smell rice, but thought 'no, I've turned the rice off'. A good 20 minutes later I realised it was the rice in the shell that was blind baking. Oops! Chocolate shell? Now there's an idea.










My boys get really excited about the idea of dessert, but often don't want anything other than icecream or custard. The absolutely loved this ("can I have mine without the black bit, Mum"). Both wanted seconds. And thirds. Which was probably just as well, as I could have eaten half of it myself.

This recipe makes a really big tart, bigger than the quiche dish I own, so there was enough pastry left for a couple of mini's (which I didn't burn), and still some filling left over.



Passionfruit Tart with Lime Butter Pastry

Pastry
zest of one lime
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp water
225g (1/2 cup) plain flour
60g icing sugar
125g butter, chilled, chopped

Filling
200ml passionfruit pulp (about 10-15 smaller passionfruit)
2 tsp finely grated lime ring
40ml lemon juice
60ml lime juice
155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
270ml tin light coconut cream
6 eggs, lightly whisked

1. Process the flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the lime zest and stir through. Add the egg yolk and water, processing until the dough comes together.  Cover in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge of 30minutes to rest.

2. Blitz the passionfruit pulp in a food processor for a few seconds, then strain it through a sieve. (the seeds wont be chopped up, it just separates the seeds from the flesh making it easier to strain).  Whisk passionfruit juice, lime rind, lemon and lime juice, caster sugar, coconut cream and eggs in a bowl. Place in the fridge 1 hr to chill. Add 1 1/2 tbsp seeds back to the mix. If you prefer, you could leave them out all together.

3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C.  Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 4mm-thick disc.  Line a 3cm-deep, 23cm fluted tart tin, with removable base, with pastry. Or your quiche dish. Trim the pastry. Cover with non-stick baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice (don't  use rice that you might want to cook afterwards). Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and pastry weights/rice. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool slightly.  Place tart on a baking tray.

4. Reduce oven temperature to 150C. Pour filling into the pastry case. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until just set. Set aside to cool. Place in the fridge for 1 hr to chill. 




Yesterday, I made Passionfruit and Lime Cupcakes. They were OK. Not the best, cooked them for too long. The recipe said 20 minutes, which I did think was a bit long for cupcakes. I'd planned to check them after 10 minutes but got busy until the timer went off after 16 minutes. My Mum always checks baking when she smells it. I dont think she burns much either. Turns out Mum's do know everything.


We have a bazillion broccoli in the garden right now. Broccoli soup?

Comments

Popular Posts