Sweet treat Tuesday

 


Today is baking day. I thought I'd wait until Keegan was home from kindy so he could help. On the way home he told me that he only bakes gingerbread cookies with Nan "in fact, I only bake any biscuits with Nan", which is a shame because she lives 780km away. Looks like she might have to come and visit again soon!

I started to make gingerbread biscuits then realised we didn't have enough golden syrup. Lucky, because "only Nan makes gingerbread biscuits, Mum".

So, here we have "Lactation Boosting Biscuits", AKA 'Boobie Biscuits' or 'Choc Oat Biscuits', until we can come up with a better name, that everyone can eat. I'm pretty sure my father-in-law didn't try one after he was told what they were called....  These biscuits are tasty, filling and suitable to eat whether you are breastfeeding or not!





Lets gather our supplies. Yes, you do have to use brewers yeast if you want to boost breast milk production. Historically, brewers yeast is a breast milk stimulant, though there is insufficient evidence to support its efficacy.  Both linseed meal and brewers yeast can be found in most health food stores. I buy mine from Bills Scoops in Kardinya.
 



Mix it up until it is a delicious sticky bowl of mess (this is what was left after I filled up the first trays).




QUICKLY, put them in the oven before they get eaten off the tray, right before your eyes.




I dont want to help make them because you're not Nan, but "please, can I have my photo taken with the biscuits, Mum?!"




Hot off the press, or more correctly, out of the oven




 Oh, yum, still warm, soft and gooey chocolate in the middle! Awesome...




So, here's the recipe.


Lactation Boosting Biscuits 
200g butter
1 cup sugar (I've just realised I didn't put sugar in...oops...they're still great!)
1 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp water
2 tbsp linseed meal
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 generous tbsp brewers yeast
3 cups oats
>1 cup dark choc chips (or raisins, sultanas, cranberries etc)


Preheat oven at 190C  (or 170C fan forced).
Mix together linseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.
Cream butter and sugar,  add eggs one at a time, mix well.
Add linseed mixture and vanilla.  Beat until blended.
Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and choc chips then add to butter mix (dont forget the brewers yeast here).
Stir in oats then choc chips.
Roll into balls or scoop and drop onto baking sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes, depending on size of biscuits.

Makes about 60.


Comments

  1. What do we do if we don't want to boost lactation Michelle? They look and sound wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd guess you could leave out the brewers yeast if you had an oversupply of milk. Otherwise I wouldn't worry, there's no real evidence to say brewers yeast alters your supply anyway, only hearsay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts