{ PATTERN REVIEW } Skippy Dress + the 'Make for Me' List

The Skippy Dress has been in my pattern (PDF) box for 10 months. I FINALLY got it made! Hurray!! Are you guilty of hoarding unmade patterns too??

This fabulous knit dress (my first knit dress, made for myself, ever) is the Skippy Dress by Make it Perfect. I love the fit, it is absolutely perfect.




I haven't cropped my head off intentionally. Since discovering the brilliance of having a 50mm lens on my camera, I rarely take it off so in my haste to get a quick snap, my laziness meant I just couldn't zoom out. This was the cleanest wall in the house in the lightest room, and I just wasn't going to start cleaning other walls in bigger rooms (like near the dining table) for a picture.

The pattern itself is super easy to follow, would have taken me probably 2 hours from start to finish, if I hadn't been continuously interrupted (c'mon school tomorrow!). The instructions are clear and easy to follow. Toni even gives a great little guide on what stitches to use to sew the dress.

As I mentioned, the fit is perfect. I didn't cut a straight size though - the whole bodice piece I graded over 3 sizes, with an XS bust, graded to a Small at the waist and a Med at bottom of the bodice, based on my measurements on the sizing chart. I cut a straight Med waistband and skirt. I probably could have made the skirt as a small given the fabric is pretty stretchy, but my behind isn't small. I was a bit worried about the XS top being too small, as some shirts can be quite tight around my back and under the arms. I needed have been worried, the jersey has a lovely amount of stretch. As I didn't want the sleeves to be too tight, I cut them with an S width.  I didn't alter the length of the bodice or skirt at all and the sleeve length is absolutely OK. No long arm problem here. I did actually measure the sleeves to make sure they would be long enough. Just to make sure.

The dress, I just can't stop gushing about how pleased I am with how it turned out, it is perfectly comfy as it is. I forsee quite a few more of these being added to my wardrobe in the near future. Now I know how easy it is to make, I'll whip a couple more up when I find myself some more fabric!!




The fabric is a merino wool jersey. I may have done a little dance and wandered around with a silly grin on my face when I found this at The Fabric Store in Melbourne (on the what-I-hope-will-be-annual-one-day girls weekend away) last year. That fabric store is a treasure trove. All sorts of different things.  I knew that I was going to use this fabric for the Skippy Dress as I was buying it. I only wish I'd bought a bit more!

To recap -

An flawless pattern, great instructions and easy to sew
Fit is great, follow the sizing chart to modify if needed.

Supplies - 

Skippy Dress pattern by Make it Perfect
Merino wool jersey in blue and stripe from The Fabric Store

I have a ridiculous amount of patterns that I haven't yet printed, taped, traced and sewn yet (no surprises there!) I'm all for the PDF patterns, usually I see it and I want it here and now. To make right now. Or tomorrow (or next week, but I'm not thinking that when I want it). I don't want to wait 5 days for it to arrive in the post. Even if Australia Post was to improve their tardy deliver of parcels East to West, I think I'd still be too impatient to wait for it to arrive. Who knows why, the patterns sit waiting for a while!

Here is my 'Make for Me' list. 

I am always inspired by Sanae Ishida's blog and her handmade wardrobe, to make more of my own clothes. Loved the Me Made May challenge- my instagram feed was crazy with all that handmade greatness. I'm planning to add to mine so maybe I've got more than a half dozen things next year!

These patterns sit in a lonely PDF file that are dying to be bought to life. I'll make it my mission to finish then in the next 12 months! What about one pattern a month. That's do-able. In no particular order we have:
  • Miss Audrey Dress (1 Puddle Lane) - actually this one will be first. 
  • Marigold Peplum Top/Dress (Blank Slate) (muslin done, but not perfect)
  • Make it Perfect Essential Shorts (done, too small, relates to the not small butt mentioned above)
  • Sugar Pop Top (Sew Caroline Sewing Patterns)
  • City Girl Frock/Top (See Kate Sew)
  • Day Tripper Top (Shwin Designs)
  • Parisian Top (Go To Patterns)
  • Lotta Skirt (Compagnie M)
  • Briar Rose Top/Sweater (Megan Neilsen)
  • More Skippy Dresses and Tops!

And a few that I want to make but haven't purchased...yet!
  • Mercer Tunic (Whitney Deal)
  • Bombshell Swimsuit (Closet Case Files) -I even bought fabric in Bali back in March for this
  • Ginger Jeans (Closet Case Files)
I've realised that I really haven't blogged about many of the clothes I've made for myself. It's a bit tricky getting photos of one's self. I am working on it. Seven year olds can prove quite helpful.
These are a few other patterns that I have managed to finish:
  • Make it Perfect (MIP) Honey Top (another one)
  • Wiksten Tank 
  • Poppy Dress (MIP ) (here)
  • Waterfall Blouse (MIP)
  • Washi Dress (Made by Rae)
Given that the most recent of these purchases was 2 months ago, I think I'm doing OK. No need to join sewing patterns-anonymous just yet, but I really should get cracking through my list. 

I have purposefully omitted children's patterns from this list as that would really make me seem like I have a problem with collecting sewing patterns. 

Any suggestions of what I should add to my 'Make for Me' list? Fire away!

Me and two of my crazy smalls x




Comments

Popular Posts